Good discussion on risks of CT scans and children further to recent media attention (e.g., CT Scans Boost Cancer Risks For Kids : NPR), along with a list of questions to ask:
- What is the name of the test you are suggesting for my child?
- Does the test involve ionizing radiation? (e.g., CT, PET scans)
- How will the test improve my child’s care?
- Are there any non-ionizing radiation tests that could be safely used? (e.g., ultrasound, MRI)
- Will my child receive a “kid-sized” dose of radiation?
- Is this facility accredited by the American College of Radiology? (not an issue in Canadian hospitals)