A somewhat tongue-in-cheek discussion of doctor behaviour. The reasons:
- Doctors are afraid of their responsibility and potential for error
- Doctors are hen-pecked by administration (seems to be common both sides of the border but US healthcare administration costs are high compared to most countries)
- Doctors are exhausted
- Doctors were probably jerks to begin with given the competitive nature of medical school entrance requirements
And recommendations on how to work with a ‘jerk’.
- Bring your doctor more trivia
- Threaten your doctor with legal action
- Attack your doctor’s judgment directly
- Fight fire with fire
- Be prepared for your visit
- Be understanding of doctor’s lateness
- Be a ‘compliant’ patient – follow the treatment
- Find another doctor if you need to
Fortunately, I have not encountered any doctors or other members of my medical team that fall into this category – and my sense is that this kind of behaviour is much less tolerated now than previously.
Working on a piece on how to work with your medical team which takes a more positive approach!