An older article on some of the horror stories of incorrect diagnoses, and recommendation in serious cases to get a second opinion. Some practical questions to ask during a second opinion appointment:
- Have you reviewed all the materials related to my case?
- Was the lab test/image/biopsy specimen adequate to make a firm diagnosis? Would a repeat test give us more information?
- Are we certain that this is the disease that I have? Could there be another explanation for these symptoms or results?
- If you agree with the initial diagnosis, can you confirm or suggest modifications to the first doctor’s proposed treatment plan?
- Can you reassure me that we have explored all the options?
While I was not as systematic during my second opinion consultation at Princess Margaret Hospital, we essentially went through the 5 issues/questions.