Another good list:
- I’m coming over. What can I bring?
- We’re opening a bank account for you. And while we’re at it, we’re going to refinance your house. (a banker friend actually did that for Brian Mansfield, the writer of this list)
- If I had to pick one kind of cancer to have, I’d pick yours (only for those with personal and family experience with a range of cancers – need ‘street cred’).
- What’s going to be the hard part for you? (gets past the small issues)
- How are you doing today? (‘today’ recognizes the ups and downs)
- Let me send you something that helped me (send it, don’t talk about it!)
Not exactly the same as my list but the common thread of action, rather than just words, and the offer for deep conversation and connection.