While written for a university setting, most of these are generally applicable. We found some sessions with our clinic counsellors helpful as we worked through some of the issues. The myths:
- Counselling is for people who are mentally ill.
- Seeking counselling is a sign of weakness.
- My professors, friends and school administration will know I went for counselling (substitute colleagues for workplace counselling).
- Counsellors will tell me what to do.
- The counsellor won’t understand me due to differences in ethnicity and experience.
- Counselling doesn’t work.
- I may become too dependent on the counsellor.
- Counselling changes who you are forever.